Microsoft announced two new editions of SQL Server 2008 R2 providing the highest level of mission-critical, scalable solutions:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse (formerly Project code-named “Madison”).
Built on SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter is designed to deliver a high-performing data platform that provides the highest levels of scalability for large application workloads, virtualization and consolidation, and management for an organization’s database infrastructure. Datacenter helps enable organizations to cost effectively scale their mission-critical environment.
Key features new to Datacenter:
- Application and Multi-Server Management for enrolling, gaining insights and managing over 25 instances
- Highest virtualization support for maximum ROI on consolidation and virtualization
- High-scale complex event processing with SQL Server StreamInsight
- Supports more than 8 processors and up to 256 logical processors for highest levels of scale
- Supports memory limits up to OS maximum
Parallel Data Warehouse Edition
SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse is a highly scalable data warehouse appliance-based solution. Parallel Data Warehouse delivers performance at low cost through a massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture and compatibility with hardware partners – scale your data warehouse from tens and hundreds of terabytes to the petabyte range.
Key features new to Parallel Data Warehouse:
- 10s to 100s TBs to 1+ PB enabled by MPP architecture
- Advanced data warehousing capabilities like Star Join Queries and Change Data Capture
- Integration with SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS
- Supports industry standard data warehousing hub and spoke architecture and grid copy
There are also some important changes in Enterprise and Standard Editions.
Since now, backup compression will be available also in Standard Edition. Standard Edition can be also managed instance for Application and Multi-Server Management capabilities.
In Enterprise Edition will be included Master Data Services, Application and Multi-Server Management features (for up to 25 instances), Data Compression with UCS-2 Unicode, PowerPivot for SharePoint and Analysis Services In-memory BI.
More details about new SKUs you will find here:
What’s New for SQL Server 2008 R2 Editions